This morning, I finally got up the courage to install a new thermocouple in the kiln. There's something terrifying about taking out the screws on the left side of the red control box. Last time I took screwdriver in hand, I was replacing the kiln relays. It was super awkward, because of the location of the wiring and the relays. I only had verbal instructions, and an internet tutorial. One of the things that helped, was to label the wiring with colored sharpies. That way, it was easy to see which wire went where. The relays had a lot of wiring! I must admit, because of their location, there was a lot of sweating and swearing. But, I have to say, the thermocouple was easy peasy to install by comparison. There is only a positive and a negative wire. And, the negative is always colored in red. Thanks to those in the clay community for the online pep talks. Hoping that my firings will be more precise now...
|Finishing the last of three coats of clear glaze on these cups...|
|The instructions were really clear...|
|Adios old thermocouple...|